December 26, 2008

ATTEMPTED MURDER - ANDALUCIAN STYLE


Was returning home from Christmas at the finca and driving along the N340 motorway when I had the shock of my life. I could hardly believe my eyes when I spotted a car in front travelling at around 120 kilometres per hour with a woman clinging onto the bonnet for dear life! Maybe I had had a glass too many of that cava after all!

As far as I could make out, the car’s driver was swerving abruptly from one side to the other as if he was trying to throw the woman off. At this point, police who’d clearly been patrolling nearby suddenly appeared and made chase but the driver failed to stop and abruptly turned right up a route with more twists and bends - with the woman still clinging onto the windscreen wipers!

With the help, now, of another patrol car, I could just make out in the distance the police managing to block the vehicle’s path. I later read in the local press that the woman, a 31 year old Brazilian, told officers that the driver, her boyfriend, had tried to kill her. And that she’d climbed onto the bonnet when he had attempted to run her over. The driver, a 34 year old Spaniard, was arrested for attempted murder.

A dangerous place, Andalucia…!

No comments: