September 15, 2008

HANNIBAL OF THE ALPS


Always go for an early morning run when it's cool so took Lola with me this morning which greatly pleased Senora Noriega. Didn't please Lola so much which soon became clear when she started to drag and dawdle and become obsessively preoccupied with sniffing every dog that passed. And early morning is the time when all the dogs in the neighbourhood go for their 'paseo' - that peculiarly Spanish custom for families to go for a walk, usually in the cool of the evening, to see and, more importantly, be seen.

Anyway whatever the reason, Lola sniffed and sniffed. Every dog within pawing and sniffing distance. And not just the pedigrees but a bit of rough as well. Lola is, after all, no snob and seems to like nothing more than putting herself about and being a bit of a tease. But perhaps I'm being too harsh on her. Maybe all she was doing was just showing off her latest cut and pedicure...

I returned her to Senora Noriega as quickly as possible to avoid a hail of pleas and promises for more exercice later, showered and made a swift exit to the local bank to seek out Hannibal. But let me first explain...

I've had my current passport now for almost ten years and it's due for imminent renewal. But when you renew a passport in Spain, you need to send the application forms to the consular office in Madrid together with a photograph taken by an approved photographer and signed off by another in an approved occupation. Which is where Hannibal Alvarez comes in. He's the manager of the local bank and one of the few on the 'approved' list who's also known me for the requisite two-year period.

After signing off, without blinking, my unforgiving Cruella de Vil photo as a true likeness, Hannibal reminisced a bit about his summer break in the region from which he comes - the Spanish Pyrenees. Not exactly the Alps I know but the best Spain has to offer in terms of winter skiing. And from now on, whenever I think of him, a vision of Hannibal crossing the Alps inevitably springs to mind and I'm taken right back to school days and those dusty Roman history classes and their equally dusty cast of characters .....

No comments: